Freedom House has given Colombia an overall Freedom on the Net 2021 score of 65/100 (0 = least free, 100 = most free). Colombian internet users can access and share online content freely, facing only minimal restrictions. However, there are concerns over online excessive surveillance, harsh penalties for copyright violations, online threats, and self-censorship.
Why Do I Need a VPN In Colombia?
While the use of BitTorrent isn’t explicitly banned in Colombia, there are harsh penalties for copyright violations in the country.
Internet Service Providers (ISPs) in Colombia are required to collect and store records containing the online location and subscriber information about their users for five years. The data is required to be made available to the prosecutor or “any competent authority.”
Netflix is available in Colombia. However, the content on the Colombian version of the service is different from that which is available in other countries. U.S.-only services, such as Hulu, or U.K.-only services, like BBC iPlayer, are not normally available from within Colombia.
Colombian citizens can avoid any online freedom roadblocks by using a Virtual Private Network (VPN).
In this article, we’ll take a close look at the seven best VPN providers available to protect and enhance your online activities from inside Colombian borders. All seven of these providers have streaming servers located inside of Colombia, allowing users to access Colombian online TV popular channels & content from the rest of the world.
How to Use a VPN From Inside Colombia
You can easily use a VPN from inside of Colombia if you follow a few simple steps:
- Subscribe to a VPN provider. (NordVPN is my #1 choice.)
- Install the VPN app on your connected device(s).
- Log into the VPN service.
- Select a VPN server outside of Colombia to access geo-blocked content located in the rest of the world. Select a server location inside of Colombia if you wish to protect your in-country online activities, or if you’re located outside of the country and wish to access geo-blocked content located inside Colombia.
- Enjoy your internet freedom!
Best VPNs for Use in Colombia
The 7 top VPN providers for use inside of Colombia are:
- NordVPN: Top VPN option for Colombia. This provider is your best bet for a VPN service when using the internet from inside of Colombia. The provider offers speedy, well-encrypted connections from a server network that covers the globe.
- Surfshark: Great budget VPN option. Surfshark is a reliable, highly secure provider that offers its service at a budget-friendly price. Its unlimited simultaneous connections allowance will be especially attractive to users with a lot of devices to protect at once.
- ExpressVPN: Premium VPN protection. ExpressVPN’s wide server network, fast speeds, and excellent multi-platform support make it a respectable choice for accessing and enjoying streaming content in other countries. Its privacy and security protections are also optimal.
- CyberGhost: Good option for VPN rookies. Users with little to no experience in using a VPN, or users who are searching for an easy-to-use, yet powerful VPN service, are well-advised to consider this provider. It provides one-click access to a huge global server network, which includes streaming-optimized and file sharing-optimized servers.
- Private Internet Access: Reliable VPN for Colombia. This VPN provides reliable access to geo-fenced content from much of the world. Has servers stationed inside of Colombia.
- PrivateVPN: Stealthy VPN Protection for Colombia. While this provider could stand some improvement in the server network categories, it provides an overall excellent VPN protection. A proprietary “Stealth VPN” offering disguises your VPN activities as normal browser activity.
- Atlas VPN: Excellent VPN Protection for Philippines. While this provider may have a less than impressive global server network, it does provide reliable protected access to content in the regions where it has servers.
When I ranked the top seven best VPN providers, I considered the following factors:
- Global server network
- Bonus for Colombian server locations
- Comprehensive security and online privacy protections
- Download speeds
- Multi-platform app support
- Overall customer support
My top seven best VPN providers for use by residents and visitors in Colombia are as follows.
NordVPN is your best bet for top-notch online protection and enhancement for your internet connection in Colombia.
NordVPN’s global server network is impressive, including over 5,400+ servers in 60 countries. Unfortunately, Colombia is not one of those countries, but you can still protect your connection within Colombia by connecting to a server in another country.
The provider owns and operates its servers, meaning third-party contractors are kept away from customers’ personal info.
Worries about your privacy will be a thing of the past thanks to NordVPN’s no-server-logs policy and a privacy-friendly Bitcoin payment option.
All NordVPN server operations are run 100% from volatile RAM, never writing any data to a physical hard drive. This means that all server data is completely erased from a server when it is rebooted or shutdown.
Speed-wise, NordVPN provides some of the fastest download speeds around. The provider’s speeds scored in the top five in my most recent round of speed tests.
You will also be unlikely to find a popular device that NordVPN doesn’t have a native app for. App offerings are available for the Amazon Fire, Android TV, Android, iOS, macOS (including M1 Mac support), Linux, and Windows device platforms. Chrome, Edge and Firefox browser extensions are also available, as is support for numerous routers. Up to six devices can connect to the service at the same time on one account.
Responsive customer support is available via 24/7 live support chat, email support, and a support knowledge base.
- Blazingly fast speeds
- Optimal security and privacy protections
- Support for numerous device platforms
- Affordable prices
- Reliable customer support
- No servers in Colombia
BEST VPN FOR COLOMBIA:NordVPN is the best choice for Colombian users looking for the best online protection. Although the provider doesn’t offer servers in Colombia, you can still expect super-fast connections to servers around the globe. A 30-day, no-risk money-back guarantee is available.
Read my full review of NordVPN.
While Surfshark’s unlimited simultaneous connections allowance is attractive, the low price they ask for their superior service will be even more attractive to most users.
Surfshark’s global server network includes 3,200+ servers in 65+ countries, including Colombia. That network provides reliable access to most geo-controlled content around the globe.
The provider’s connection protection includes government-grade encryption, kill switch protection, and DNS and IPv6 leak prevention. The provider’s “Multi-Hop” option routes a VPN connection through twin servers, providing extra anonymity for any online activities.
Privacy protection includes a strict no-server-logs policy, as well as a Bitcoin payment option.
Above-average connection speeds are the rule here, delivering plenty of bandwidth for streaming, online gaming, and file sharing. No data cap restrictions to be found here.
Apps are available for the Android, iOS, Linux, macOS (with M1 Mac support), Windows, and Amazon Fire device platforms. Chrome, Edge and Firefox extensions protect your browser activity, and support is available for various routers.
Business users and those who require VPN protection for large groups of folks will appreciate the provider’s unlimited simultaneous connections allowance.
Around-the-clock support includes 24/7 live chat, a “contact us” option and a searchable support library.
- Value-priced subscriptions
- “Multi-Hop” server option for added anonymity
- Unlimited concurrent connections
- Speedy connections
- Apps don’t include some advanced options
BEST VPN FOR BUDGET-MINDED COLOMBIANS: This provider offers well-protected and fast connections for an astonishingly low price. The provider’s unlimited simultaneous connections allowance makes it a good option for users who require protection for multiple users. A 30-day money-back guarantee is available.
Read my full review of Surfshark.
ExpressVPN makes for an excellent choice when it comes to streaming international content thanks to its fast speeds, exceptional multi-platform support, and wide-ranging server coverage.
With a global server network that includes 3,000+ servers in Colombia and 93 other countries, ExpressVPN covers the globe like Sherwin-Williams. That network provides reliable access to geo-blocked content almost everywhere.
That server network has excellent security and provides well-protected connections that use banking-level encryption, a kill switch, and IPv6 and DNS leak protection to keep your online activities incognito. Plus, you can pick and choose which apps will use the provider’s encrypted protection thanks to a split-tunneling feature.
No worries on the privacy end of things due to the provider’s stringent no-server-logs policy and its private Bitcoin subscription payment option.
ExpressVPN’s download speeds are fast, with protected speeds perfect for video streaming platforms, online gaming, and sharing huge files. No daily or monthly data caps to deal with here.
The provider’s app support is also top-notch, with apps available for the Chromebook, Amazon Fire, Android, Android TV, iOS, macOS, Linux, and Windows device platforms.
Chrome, Edge and Firefox extensions protect your browsing sessions, and compatibility with numerous routers protect all of your other connected devices. Up to five devices can concurrently connect using the same account information.
Amazing service is a hallmark of this provider, with 24/7 customer live support chat, email support, a trouble ticket system, and a searchable support library.
- Servers in Colombia and 93 other nations
- Fast download speeds
- Reliable access to geo-blocked content around the globe
- Top-notch privacy and advanced security protections
- More expensive than many competitors
- Only five simultaneous connections
STREAMING FANS REJOICE:ExpressVPN is the best choice for Colombians who crave access to international streaming content. The provider’s fast speeds and support for numerous devices mean you can get a clear picture on most of your devices. A 30-day money-back guarantee is available.
Read my full review of ExpressVPN.
Users who are new to the world of VPNs, or users who are looking for reliable, yet easy-to-use VPN protection, would do well to take a close look at this provider.
The provider’s global server network is one of the largest in the business and includes 8,000+ servers stationed in more than 90 countries, including Colombia. Among those servers are a wide variety of streaming- and file-sharing-enhanced servers scattered around the world.
The provider offers optimal protection and excellent security to hide your digital footprints via government-grade encryption, a kill switch option, and DNS and IPv6 leak prevention. Ad and tracker blocking is also available, as is the option to force websites to only display secure versions of their pages if they’re available.
Your privacy is also well-served via the provider’s no-server-logs policy and an anonymous cryptocurrency payment option.
Fast download speeds is another department this provider shines in. Thanks to the provider’s no-data-cap restrictions and unlimited bandwidth, the provider easily handles streaming 4K or HD video, online gaming, and file sharing.
App support is also a high point with this provider. App offerings include options for the Amazon Fire, Android, Android TV, iOS, macOS, Linux, and Windows device platforms. Chrome and Firefox browser extensions are also available, as is support for numerous router makes and models.
In addition to quality VPN protection, CyberGhost also offers other security and privacy-related services. This includes a password manager, an alert when your email address is exposed in a data breach, antivirus and anti-malware protection for Windows users, and much more.
Up to seven devices can concurrently make connections to the service on the same username.
Always-available customer support includes 24/7 live chat, an email support option, a trouble ticket system, and a searchable support library.
- Comprehensive global server coverage
- Speedy connections
- Easy-to-use apps
- Streaming- and file sharing-optimized servers
- Fewer advanced options than some providers
- Doesn’t unblock all streaming services
BEST VPN FOR NEW VPN USERS:If you don’t have much experience with using a VPN, this is a great choice. This provider deserves careful consideration. CyberGhost offers easy-to-use yet comprehensive online protection via its large global server network. A 45-day, no-risk money-back guarantee is available.
Read my full review of CyberGhost.
Private Internet Access (PIA) has an impressive global server network, with servers stationed inside of Colombia.
That global server network is made up of 3,300+ servers stationed in over 80 countries, including Colombia. This means Colombian residents have access to geo-fenced content from inside of Colombia, as well as most of the rest of the globe.
Your online travels are kept undercover, thanks to the provider’s use of government-grade encryption, IP/DNS lea and kill-switch protection. Ad, tracker, malware and malicious website blocking is also available from PIA.
PIA keeps no logs on its servers, meaning there are no records of your online travels to be used against you later. The provider accepts cryptocurrency as payment, meaning your payment information is kept private when used with a disposable email address.
PIA’s connection speeds, while certainly not the fastest on this list, provides more than enough bandwidth for popular online activities. No data caps or connection throttling to worry about with this VPN.
PIA provides comprehensive native app support for Android, Android TV, iOS, Windows, macOS and Linux devices. Chrome, Opera and Firefox browser browser extensions are available to protect browsing sessions, while compatibility with multiple router makes and models helps keep all of your devices protected.
Users can simultaneously connect up to 10 devices to PIA’s servers.
Live support chat, a trouble ticket form, and a searchable support library are present and accounted for in PIA’s support offerings.
- Native app support for many multiple devices
- Has servers based in Colombia
- Excellent online privacy and security
- No streaming or downloading-optimized servers
- Has issues in some overly-restrictive countries
RELIABLE VPN PROTECTION IN COLOMBIA:Private Internet Access provides well-protected, fast connections to geo-controlled content in many locations around the globe, while keeping your online activities incognito. A 30-day money-back guarantee is available.
Read our full review of Private Internet Access.
This provider may come up a bit short in some categories, but overall, it performs well when up against the other providers in this roundup.
Global server coverage is one of the “down” categories, as the provider has a mere 200+ servers spread thinly among Colombia and 60+ other countries. While PrivateVPN does a good job of positioning its servers, the low number of servers could lead to a bit of congestion if they continue adding users without adding servers.
PrivateVPN download speeds are well above average, providing more than enough bandwidth for HD movies, online gaming, and sharing and downloading large files. Plus, no worries about getting cut off in mid-movie or mid-download thanks to the provider’s lack of any data caps.
Your connection is well-protected thanks to PrivateVPN’s use of banking-grade protection, a kill switch, and DNS and IPv6 leak protection. Extra protection is available thanks to the provider’s “Stealth VPN” feature that disguises VPN traffic as normal browser traffic.
Privacy protection is also not a concern thanks to a lack of server logs and a Bitcoin private subscription payment option.
App support includes offerings for the Amazon Fire (available on Amazon website), Android, iOS, macOS, and Windows device platforms. Setup instructions are available for Linux devices. Support is available for numerous router makes and models.
Up to 6 streaming devices can connect to the service simultaneously using a single username.
PrivateVPN claims 24/7 live customer support chat, but I’ve visited the site plenty of times only to find the chat balloon is red, indicating no one is manning the chat console. However, email support and a non-searchable FAQ page are available.
- Stealth VPN disguises your VPN activity
- Speedy, well-protected connections
- Top-notch privacy protection
- Server numbers are low
- App support could be better
STEALTHY ONLINE PROTECTION:PrivateVPN’s global server numbers could be a lot better, but the provider handles global coverage well. Its Stealth VPN option disguises your VPN activity, and the provider’s connections are fast and well-protected. A 30-day money-back guarantee is available.
Read my full review of PrivateVPN.
Atlas provides reliable, well-protected access to content in the outside world.
The provider’s global server network count of 750+ servers spread among nearly 35 countries is a bit underwhelming. However, that server network delivers reliable and fast connections to online content wherever its servers are located. Unfortunately, it does not have servers inside Colombian borders.
Government-grade encryption, a kill switch and other protective measures team up to protect your online activities from being monitored or recorded. Proprietary Safebrowse and Safebrowse Plus features keep you protected against online perils and pesky ads.
Atlas VPN servers keep no usage logs, meaning there is no evidence of your online antics. Unfortunately, if you prefer to pay for your VPN service using cryptocurrency you’ll need to look elsewhere.
Atlas VPN’s connections are impressive, and can easily handle your favorite online activities. No data caps and no bandwidth limitations to spoil the fun.
Atlas VPN’s native app support offerings include options for Android, iOS, macOS, Windows, Android TV, and Amazon Fire TV devices. Although Linux support, browser extensions and support for routers are not available at the time of writing, all three features are under development.
There is no limit to the number of devices that can be simultaneously connected to the provider’s servers on a single account.
Paying customers have access to live support chat, while email, a contact form, and a support library are available to all users.
- Fast download speeds
- Well-protected access to geo-controlled content
- Offers blocking of ads and online perils
- Lacks router, browser, and Linux support
- Global server network could be larger
UNLIMITED VPN PROTECTION IN COLOMBIA:Atlas VPN protects your online activities on an unlimited number of connected devices, protecting you in Colombia or anywhere else. While the provider’s server network could be larger, it delivers reliable access to geo-controlled content around most of the globe. A 30-day money-back guarantee available.
Methodology for Assessing a VPN For Colombia
Not all VPN providers can provide reliable protection and enhancement for your online activities from inside Colombian borders. Any VPN worth considering should offer the features required for safely accessing the internet from the country.
The factors listed below are the features that I consider when deciding on which VPNs work best from inside of Colombia:
- Speed: Fast connections offer an improved experience for any online activity. Whether you’re streaming, downloading files, or engaging in some fast-moving online action, NordVPN provides some of the fastest download speeds around.
- Streaming: Access to multiple streaming sites around the globe definitely improves your entertainment options. NordVPN offers reliable access to Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, Disney+, and other popular streaming services.
- Server Network: If you’re looking to access geo-blocked international content from streaming services, gaming servers, and other sites around the globe, any VPN you consider should have numerous servers stationed around the globe. A provider scores bonus points if it has multiple servers in each location, as multiple servers help avoid having any server in those locations from slowing down because it’s overloaded with too many users at once, slowing the server’s performance.
- Value: A VPN’s true value can be easily calculated by comparing its service offerings to its asking price. If a provider is asking too high a price than what is deserved by the services it offers, forget about that provider. I only recommended VPN providers that offer a high value.
- Ease of Use: While all of the VPNs you’ll see me recommend offer apps that are easy to use, some VPN apps are easier to use than others. Also, look for app support for as many devices as possible. NordVPN provides easy-to-use apps that are available for most popular devices.
- Security and Privacy: A VPN’s online security and privacy protections are designed to keep your online activities undercover and totally private. Providers should at the very least offer banking-grade encryption, an automatic kill switch, and DNS/IP leak protection as connection protection. Any additional security and privacy features are a definite bonus. A no-server-logs policy is also a must, to prevent any evidence linked to your online travels. NordVPN offers comprehensive all-around security and privacy protections.
While the above list is quite detailed, my research doesn’t end here. The factors above are just a bit of what I consider in my comprehensive VPN testing methodology. This data-driven approach helps me to better recommend the best VPNs for the task at hand.
Won’t a Free VPN Work in Colombia?
I won’t lie and say that a free VPN won’t work from inside of Colombia. However, it also isn’t a lie when I tell you that you likely won’t be happy with the experience.
If you’re using a free VPN, your privacy is at stake. A free VPN sells one product: you. Free VPNs keep the lights on by monitoring their users’ online travels, then selling that information to advertisers and other nosy Nellies.
Meanwhile, some other freebie VPNs will insert tracking cookies and ads into your browser sessions, and those tracking cookies stick around well after you’ve disconnected from the provider’s servers.
Free VPNs are also inconvenient, and they usually don’t perform well.
When you attempt to connect to a free VPN, you may be faced with cooling your heels in a virtual waiting room with other free users, waiting for an open slot to appear on the provider’s limited number of VPN servers. Then, once you’re given the go-ahead to connect, you are either connected to a server of the VPN’s choice or are faced with only a few server location choices.
Free VPN connections are usually much slower than those of paid VPNs, as VPN providers preserve most of their bandwidth for their paying customers, meaning free customers are faced with severely throttled connection speeds. Plus, you’ll likely be faced with daily or monthly data caps.
Does any of this sound like a fun time? I don’t think so. Cut down on your Starbucks purchases each month, and you can easily afford a quality paid VPN service.
What Can I Do With a VPN?
A Virtual Private Network (VPN) is the best way to both enhance and protect your internet activities.
Protection comes in the form of military-grade encryption. A VPN encases your internet connection in a virtual tunnel of encryption, hiding all of your online activities from the prying eyes of hackers, the government, your ISP, or anyone else that is looking to stick their nose in your business.
If you use public Wi-Fi on a regular basis, a VPN protects you. Most public Wi-Fi hotspots are unprotected to make it easier for users to connect to them. Unfortunately, that leaves all of your online activities wide open to monitoring. Bad guys love this because they can monitor your banking, shopping, and other activities online, stealing your sensitive personal information.
Encryption also prevents your ISP from monitoring your online activities, meaning they can’t throttle or block your connection simply because you’re engaging in file sharing, viewing video from certain streaming services, or engaging in other “unapproved” activities.
A VPN also opens up access to online content that you might normally not have access to. This includes streaming services, gaming servers and content, and other forms of geo-blocked content.
A VPN does this by temporarily assigning a new IP address to your device. And since IP addresses are used to identify a device’s geographic location, it fools other computers into thinking that you’re located in another part of the world, opening access to the local content in that region.
Internet users located inside Colombian borders would do well to protect and enhance all of their online activities by subscribing to a quality VPN provider, like my top choice, NordVPN.
NordVPN protects your online activities with top-notch encryption through an extensive global server network, providing fast download speeds to all of the most popular device platforms available today. The provider’s around-the-clock customer support is there if you need it.
For more information or to purchase a subscription, visit the NordVPN website.
VPNs for Colombia FAQ
Is Using a VPN in Colombia Legal?
Using a VPN in Colombia is legal. A VPN comes in handy for Brazilian users to avoid monitoring by both the Colombian government and foreign governments. (The U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration is known to have monitored internet activity in the country.)
What Top-Rated Colombian TV Shows Can I Watch Online?
Many top-rated Colombian shows, including Embrace of the Serpent, Maria Full of Grace, Monos, and numerous others, are available on Netflix Colombia, iTunes, Google Play, and other popular streaming services. You will need a VPN to allow viewing of many of the services.
What is the Best Free Colombia VPN?
When it comes to VPN protection, there is no such thing as a "best free" option. Many free VPNs will log your usage and share it with anyone willing to pay for it. They also throttle your connection speeds and impose daily or monthly data caps.
- Why Do I Need a VPN In Colombia?
- How to Use a VPN From Inside Colombia
- Best VPNs for Use in Colombia
- 1. NordVPN
- 2. Surfshark
- 3. ExpressVPN
- 4. CyberGhost
- 5. Private Internet Access
- 6. PrivateVPN
- 7. Atlas VPN
- Methodology for Assessing a VPN For Colombia
- Won’t a Free VPN Work in Colombia?
- What Can I Do With a VPN?
- VPNs for Colombia FAQ
- Is Using a VPN in Colombia Legal?
- What Top-Rated Colombian TV Shows Can I Watch Online?
- What is the Best Free Colombia VPN?