Are you looking to access geo-restricted services that are only available to users located in India? To access certain websites such as streaming services like Star TV, Hotstar, and Zee TV, you need an Indian IP address.
In this post, I’ll explain how you can use a Virtual Private Network (VPN) to access Indian content from anywhere in the world.
How Does a VPN Help Me Get an Indian IP Address?
When you connect to the internet, all of your communications are tagged by an IP address, which identifies your device and includes a reference to your geo-location.
There are many websites in India that are only intended to serve an Indian audience. If you want to access geo-restricted streaming platforms like India TV or Hotstar, or services such as the Bank of India’s online banking from abroad, you need to access those services with an Indian IP address.
A VPN gets around this problem. It diverts your internet traffic through its own network via an intermediary server in a country of your choice. If you connect to a VPN server in India, all of your internet traffic will appear to come from an Indian IP address and not yours.
VPNs also encrypt your traffic, keeping your information away from the prying eyes of hackers, network administrators, government agencies, and any other snoopers.
How Do I Get an Indian IP Address from Abroad?
Here are the steps you need to follow to get your internet freedom back and continue to use all the services you can get in India while you are outside of the country.
- Choose a VPN (I recommend ExpressVPN).
- Download and install the appropriate VPN app for your device.
- Connect to one of the VPN’s Indian servers. (You may need to clear your browser’s cache and cookies.)
- Surf to a geo-restricted Indian site from outside of the country, and you should have unrestricted access.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN RISK FREE?
NordVPN offers a full-featured risk-free 30-day trial of its top-ranked services, which is available by visiting this page. This gives users a full 30 days to try the features provided by the top VPN for an Indian IP address.
The provider’s no-risk 30-day money-back offer is risk-free. Just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund with no hassle. Start your NordVPN trial here.
Best VPNs for an Indian IP Address
After examining all of the VPNs available, I have come up with the top seven VPNs that will get you access to Indian websites.
Best VPNs for an Indian IP address:
- ExpressVPN: Top pick for Indian IP addresses. This provider delivers fast connections to virtual Indian IP addresses (more about that later). ExpressVPN provides comprehensive online security and privacy for users willing to spend a bit more on a top-notch VPN. Comes with a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark: This budget-priced provider offers unlimited Indian IP addresses. The provider also offers a “MultiHop” server option that provides additional online anonymity.
- CyberGhost: A great option for first-time VPN users that are looking for an Indian IP address, thanks to its variety of easy-to-use apps. The provider also offers streaming- and downloading-optimized server options.
- Private Internet Access (PIA): This well-respected VPN provides protected connections to Indian content. PIA provides fast connections secured by comprehensive online security and privacy.
- PrivateVPN: Small but well-performing global server network. Although their global coverage is limited, they do have Indian servers. Easily keeps your online activities undercover.
How to Choose the Best VPN for an IP Address in India
There are many VPN services available, but not all of them are any good. I have done research to identify the best VPNs for getting into Indian websites from abroad. They need to have the following attributes:
- Server options in India
- High speeds for video streaming
- A self-installing, straightforward app
- Support for the most popular operating systems
- Strong security and privacy protection
You can find more in-depth information about the criteria I used in the testing methodology section later in this article.
Best VPNs for an Indian IP address – Summary table
We’ve compared the most important features for the top VPNs here. Prefer to read the in-depth reviews? Start with ExpressVPN – our #1 choice for gaining an Indian IP address.
|Private Internet Access
|Private Internet Access.com
|Ranking for gaining an Indian IP address
|Servers in India
|Avg Speed (Mbps)
|Popular Sites Unblocked
|Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux, Smart TVs, Routers
|Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux, Amazon Fire TV
|Windows, MacOS, Linux (command line), iOS, Android, Smart TVs Routers
|Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux, Smart TV's, Routers
|Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux, Amazon Fire TV, Routers
|Best deal (per month)
49% off plus 3 months Free!
SAVE 42% + 2 Months FREE on the 2 yr plan
Save 84% 2 years + 3 months free
Save 82% on a 2 year plan + 3 months FREE
SAVE 85% on the 3 year plan
Here is my detailed list of the best VPNs to get an Indian IP address:
ExpressVPN‘s server network includes 3,000+ servers in 160+ locations spread across 94+ countries, making it one of the best providers for accessing international content. While the provider doesn’t actually have any physical servers located inside India, it has virtual VPN servers located in Singapore and the United Kingdom that will give your device an Indian IP address.
You can contact the company’s support team around the clock every day of the year through a chat facility on the website. The provider’s speeds are the fastest of all VPN providers in this article.
The system uses 256-bit AES encryption to make transmissions unreadable to snoopers. The distribution of encryption keys is protected by 4096-bit RSA public-key encryption. Apps contain additional security features, such as a kill switch that prevents applications on your device from connecting to the internet and exposing your real IP address when the VPN is not active.
ExpressVPN recently added new protective features, such as its Threat Manager, which is a new privacy feature that protects against apps, trackers, and malware. Meanwhile, Parallel Connections is a new feature that works behind the scenes to ensure faster and more reliable VPN connections.
Both new features are enabled by ExpressVPN’s proprietary VPN protocol, Lightway.
Other security measures include DNS leak protection and perfect forward secrecy. The service guarantees privacy by keeping no logs of personally identifiable information. ExpressVPN accepts Bitcoin as payment for increased anonymity.
ExpressVPN servers are all run on the provider’s proprietary TrustedServer technology, which runs all server operations solely from RAM, with no data ever written to a physical hard drive. This ensures that all data is securely wiped when a server is rebooted, shut down, or if someone unplugs it and moves it.
Apps are available for Windows, Linux, macOS (native M1/M2 Mac support), iOS, Android, Android TV, and ChromeOS devices. Browser extensions include options for Chrome, Edge, and Firefox platforms. You can also install ExpressVPN on select home routers and it even makes its own easy-to-use custom firmware, and offers its own Aircove VPN routers via Amazon.
You can connect up to five devices simultaneously, but a router counts as one connection while covering all of the devices in your home.
ExpressVPN customer support includes 24/7 agent chat, a contact us form, email, and a searchable support library.
- Fast speeds for streaming HD video
- Great content-unblocking power
- Excellent security and privacy protections
- Fantastic technical support available at any given time
- More expensive than some other VPNs
EXTENSIVE WORLDWIDE COVERAGE:ExpressVPN provides thousands of servers all over the world, including in India, making it an excellent provider for accessing content worldwide. Reliable in India, it has great speeds and excellent customer support available 24/7. You get a 30-day money-back guarantee to try the service risk-free.
Read my full review of ExpressVPN.
Surfshark earns the 2nd spot on this list thanks to its budget pricing. The provider offers reliable access to the internet in India from around the globe.
Its server network of 3,200+ servers located in 100+ countries is quite impressive. The provider’s virtual Indian servers are located in Singapore, the Netherlands, and London. The provider boasts that its network provides access to more than 30 Netflix libraries around the globe.
Depending on your usual download speeds, the provider’s connection speeds are easily up to handling streaming, online gaming, and sharing large files. No data caps or bandwidth throttling to worry about here.
Surfshark offers easy-to-install-and-use apps for the Amazon Fire TV, iOS, Android, Linux, Windows, and macOS device platforms. (The macOS app boasts M1/M2 Mac support.)
Chrome, Edge, and Firefox browser extensions are also available, as is compatibility with a large number of router makes and models. Surfshark offers an unlimited simultaneous connections allowance.
Surfshark hides your online antics from prying eyes by using military-level 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, and DNS leak prevention. Also available are ad-blocking, tracker, malware, and phishing protection. An optional MultiHop server mode that routes your internet connection through two VPN servers rounds out the provider’s complete protection package.
No server logs of Surfshark users’ online activities are ever kept, and the provider accepts various forms of cryptocurrency as payment.
In addition to its VPN protection, Surfshark offers truly private search, data breach alerts, and antivirus protection.
The provider’s 24/7 customer support includes live agent chat, email, a contact us form, and a searchable support library.
- Provides reliable access to India and other countries
- Bargain-basement pricing
- Unlimited concurrent connections
- Fast download speeds
- Apps lack some advanced options
BEST BUDGET OPTION:Surfshark provides online protection and access to Indian IP addresses for large groups of users with no limit on the number of connections, and for an extremely reasonable price. The provider offers comprehensive online security and fast connection speeds. A 30-day money-back guarantee is available.
Read my full review of Surfshark.
CyberGhost offers great speeds and enables you to optimize settings based on your intended activity, for example, streaming video, with just one click. The company runs a total of 9,000+ servers in 90+ countries. There are currently 29+ virtual servers to provide Indian IP addresses.
Session establishment procedures are protected by 4096-bit RSA encryption and the data transfers are covered by 256-bit AES encryption. These are among the highest security levels in the industry.
You don’t pay directly to CyberGhost, so you can’t be traced through your bank details. The only information that the company holds on each customer is an account number and the subscription expiry date. A kill switch and DNS leak protection are included.
Apps are available for Windows, macOS, iOS, Linux, Android TV, and Android. Chrome and Firefox browser extensions are available, and there’s plenty of support for routers. Seven simultaneous connections are allowed.
A reliable VPN service isn’t all that’s available from CyberGhost. The provider also offers a password manager, warnings when your email address is included in a data breach, and Windows security apps and services, like antivirus.
The provider’s support is always available, thanks to its support agent chat option, support request form, email, and searchable support library.
- An attractive, easy-to-use app
- Incredibly fast connection speeds
- Account anonymity methods
- Accessing support negates anonymity procedures
- Doesn’t work in China
EASY:CyberGhost is easy to use, provides access to many blocked sites, and offers great speeds. You get a 45-day money-back guarantee on all subscription periods except for the one-month plan, which has a 14-day money-back guarantee.
Read my full CyberGhost review.
Private Internet Access (PIA) provides easy access to Indian IP addresses, while doing an excellent job when it comes to online security and privacy.
While the provider’s download speeds are not the fastest I’ve ever seen, it can easily handle any popular online pastime.
The provider has 3,300+ servers, spread among more than 80 countries, which provides reliable access to content around the lion’s share of the globe. PIA’s “India” servers are actually geo-located servers (PIA’s terminology for virtual servers), meaning they are not actually located inside India, but can supply Indian IP addresses.
PIA-provided connections are well-protected thanks to PIA’s use of government-level encryption, IP/DNS leak prevention, and a kill switch. Blocking of ads, trackers, malware and malicious sites is available.
PIA keeps no server logs of any kind. The provider’s Bitcoin payment option means there is no connection between your payment info and your account if you use a disposable email address.
App support from the provider includes offerings for Android, iOS, Windows, macOS, and Linux devices. Chrome, Opera, and Firefox browser extensions protect your browsing sessions, and the provider boasts Linksys, Asus, and Netgear router compatibility.
Up to 10 devices can be concurrently connected on a single account.
Live support chat, a trouble ticket form, and a searchable support/troubleshooting library have your support needs covered.
- Native support for numerous devices, browsers, and routers
- Comprehensive online security and privacy
- Simultaneously connect up to 10 devices
- No labeled streaming-optimized servers in app
- Has issues working in restrictive countries
RELIABLE ACCESS TO INDIAN IPs:Private Internet Access provides reliable Indian IP addresses, while also protecting all of your online activities from prying eyes. The provider’s connection speeds are well above average, easily handling your favorite online pastimes. A 30-day money-back guarantee is available.
PrivateVPN was created by internet privacy activists and goes to great lengths to ensure your anonymity. It has more than 200 servers in 60+ countries, including two servers in India – one in Bangalore and one in Mumbai.
The provider’s protected connections are pleasingly fast, providing plenty of bandwidth for your favorite online activities.
Session establishment procedures are protected by 2048-bit RSA encryption and data transfers are encrypted with a 256-bit AES cipher. The company uses a separate payment processor, so it doesn’t have to keep any information about customers on its servers. This provider keeps no connection logs, and a kill switch is included in the service.
Apps are available for Windows, macOS, iOS, and Android devices. You can set up the VPN manually on Linux computers and some routers. Each account gives you an allowance of 10 simultaneous connections.
PrivateVPN customer support options include live support chat and a non-searchable FAQ. The provider quickly responds to questions submitted via their “Contact Us” form.
- Account anonymity procedures
- Easy-to-use apps
- Super fast connection speeds
- Only two servers in India
- No live chat support
GOOD SPEEDS:PrivateVPN offers a fast and reliable service. It can unblock a lot of streaming sites. PrivateVPN gives customers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read my full PrivateVPN review.
Methodology for Assessing VPNs for an Indian IP Address
You can’t choose just any VPN to gain access to an Indian IP address. There are certain aspects of the VPN service provider that you have to look for.
I make sure that each VPN I recommended offers the following:
- Speed: No matter what online activity you plan to conduct with your local IP address from India, fast speeds are critical. It will make streaming, gaming, and file sharing a joy instead of a pain. All of the VPNs on my list offer superior connection speeds.
- Server network: Obviously, to get an Indian IP address, a VPN has to offer servers in India. I made sure that each VPN I reviewed offers Indian servers, as well as above-average global server networks generally.
- Value: It makes no sense to invest in a VPN if the price is too high to justify its offerings. Each VPN on my list sells its service for a price that is commensurate with what they offer in the way of features, functionality, and more.
- Ease of use: You don’t want a VPN that makes it difficult to do simple things, like connect to a server in a specific country. That’s why I ensured that each VPN on my list offers easy-to-use apps that make it simple to get that Indian IP address you crave.
- Security and privacy: Digital security and privacy protections are important, no matter what online activity you intend to perform. You should always look for government-grade encryption, an automatic kill switch, and DNS/IP leak protection. Make sure the VPN service provider doesn’t keep any activity logs, either. Every VPN on my list fits this description.
- Streaming: Since streaming is a popular activity for VPN users, I made sure that each VPN I recommended offers easy access to a multitude of streaming services, including India-based Hotstar, as well as Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and more.
This is not where my research ends. I also consider other factors while conducting my comprehensive VPN testing methodology. My research approach helps me to better understand these VPNs, so I can recommend only those that are a good fit for your needs.
Can I Get an Indian IP Address for Free?
You have to be careful when you select a VPN because many services use a subscription model, which requires you to pay upfront. Even some paid services aren’t fast enough for video streaming, and not all providers have servers in India.
You should be particularly cautious of free VPNs and question how these companies are making money, and whether they’re able to provide a quality service. Many free VPNs are actually scams.
A lot of them don’t include any encryption and stand no chance of getting you into sites that operate regional restrictions.
You also have to be careful about your privacy. Not only do some of these free services contain no privacy protection, but they actually track your internet activities and sell that information to marketers. Free VPN services just aren’t worth the effort of installing.
In this case, you really do get what you pay for. VPNs that cost little or nothing are worth exactly that.
Tip: You can use ExpressVPN for up to 30 days and cancel for a full refund. This effectively gives you a top-tier VPN free for a month so you can see if it’s worth investing in for the long term.
Indian IP Address VPN FAQs
Are VPNs Legal in India?
The use of VPNs in India is totally legal. However, the government does have the ability to block websites and app stores, so it might be a good idea to have your VPN installed on your devices before crossing Indian borders.
Can a VPN Allow Me to Watch Bollywood Movies from Outside of India?
While Indian streaming services, including Sony LIV, Hotstar, and Jiocinema, restrict their viewing to fans inside of India, a VPN can make it appear as if you are in India, unblocking these Bollywood movie services.
Can I Watch Cricket from Outside of India?
Yes. A VPN can provide access to cricket matches, such as those shown on Hotstar, the Indian video-on-demand streaming service owned and operated by The Walt Disney Company.
What Can I Do With an Indian IP Address?
An Indian IP address allows you to access online content that might normally be unavailable from outside of the country, This includes banking and financial sites, video and music streaming services, and more.
Can I Use a VPN to Watch Indian Netflix?
As long as your VPN provider has servers based in India you can likely watch Indian Netflix content. Make sure your VPN provider has servers based in India, like the VPNs on this list.
Can I torrent with an Indian IP address?
Yes, its possible. You can torrent with an Indian IP address, but it is essential to be aware of some legal and safety considerations before doing so.
When downloading and sharing files on any peer-to-peer network, such as BitTorrent, it's essential to understand the laws in your area. For example, in India, torrenting is not illegal. However, torrenting copyrighted material (such as movies or music) without permission can result in criminal charges or fines. Thus if you are downloading anything that you should buy instead, such as a paid book or software program, then please refrain from doing so.
- How Does a VPN Help Me Get an Indian IP Address?
- How Do I Get an Indian IP Address from Abroad?
- Best VPNs for an Indian IP Address
- How to Choose the Best VPN for an IP Address in India
- Best VPNs for an Indian IP address – Summary table
- 1. ExpressVPN
- 2. Surfshark
- 3. CyberGhost
- 4. Private Internet Access
- 5. PrivateVPN
- Methodology for Assessing VPNs for an Indian IP Address
- Can I Get an Indian IP Address for Free?
- Indian IP Address VPN FAQs
- Are VPNs Legal in India?
- Can a VPN Allow Me to Watch Bollywood Movies from Outside of India?
- Can I Watch Cricket from Outside of India?
- What Can I Do With an Indian IP Address?
- Can I Use a VPN to Watch Indian Netflix?
- Can I torrent with an Indian IP address?